Place of origin: Galway, Ireland (made)
Date: 1750-1800 (made)
Artist/Maker: Robinson, Andrew (goldsmith)
Materials and Techniques: Engraved gold
Credit Line: Given by Mrs K. Ticher
Museum number: M.12-1961
Gallery location: Jewellery, room 91, case 12, shelf A, box 6
Public access description
The ‘Claddagh’ ring takes its name from the Irish village. It is formed of a crowned heart held between two hands. It draws upon older
traditions of rings with clasped hands and hearts and is still a popular item of jewellery.
Gold claddagh ring inscribed inside ‘JMM’, with two hands clasping a crowned heart, mark of Andrew Robinson, Galway, Ireland, 1750-1800.
Gold claddagh ring inscribed inside ‘JMM.A’, with two hands clasping a crowned heart, mark of Andrew Robinson.
Object history note
Historical significance: A variety of fede ring traditional to the Claddagh district of Galway